Monday, July 31, 2017

Art to heal wounds in Srinagar

Constable’s calligraphy exhibits win hearts at scene of DSP’s lynching
A police constable’s calligraphic work won hearts and buyers at the first-ever calligraphy exhibition held here at Jamia Masjid, where the body of a Deputy Superintendent of Police was left after being lynched a month ago.
Constable Ishfaq Ali Parray, in his late twenties, came across as any other artist displaying his works in the week-long exhibition organised by the Srinagar chapter of the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage at the Islamic Centre in Nowhatta.

It was not an easy decision for Mr. Parray, a contemporary artist, to put up his work at the same spot where DSP Ayub Pandith was beaten to death by a mob on the night of June 22. “The episode during Ramzan (when Pandith was killed) was in the back of my mind. I thought I will just visit on the inaugural day and leave the venue quickly. To my surprise, local people and visitors appreciated my work. I received calls as people impressed by my work wanted to see me. I decided to stay back for the week,” Mr. Parray told The Hindu.
As the exhibition ended on Sunday, Mr. Parray said he was surprised by the people’s response. “Such footfalls are not possible anywhere else. Locally, people are aware of the arts. I put up 15 works. Eighty per cent has been sold and I have many orders to work on now,” he added.

The calligraphy of Mr. Parray is popular ever since his painting of the verses of Jaan Muhammad Qudsi, who was granted ‘Mulkush Shura’ (poet laureate) title by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan, became a big hit. “I drew the verses first time in the winter. I used bright colours to draw four couplets in praise of the Prophet. It was a hit. I have received more orders for the same,” he said.


Source: THE HINDU-24th July,2017