Thursday, March 23, 2017

The chess player with all the right moves

Harika Dronavalli was around six years old when her father brought home a chess set. It was meant for her older sister who, her father felt, needed to learn patience. But it was Dronavalli who took to the game instantly. Her parents enrolled her in a class where she could learn the techniques of the game, and within a year, Dronavalli was participating in the National U-9 Chess Championship. “I wasn't a really good player, but I performed well and everyone was impressed. On the last day of the tournament, I saw that trophy and that became my motivation. Next year, I participated again in the championship and won it,” says Dronavalli, just back from Tehran where she won bronze in the 2017 Women's World Chess Championship. It's the 26-year-old Guntur-based player's third bronze at the championships, the previous two coming in 2012 and 2015. Dronavalli also won the Arjuna Award, India's highest award for sportspersons, in 2007 when she was only 17.
But it was that first win, when she was just seven years old, that whetted her interest in chess. “Initially, it was the appreciation that became the driving force. But now, chess has become the lens through which I see life,” she says.
This clarity, the decision to focus entirely on chess came early, for Dronavalli didn't study beyond school. “I was a professional chess player at nine, and there was no confusion about the future. I was certain of making it my profession and so decided to focus on it,” says Dronavalli. She currently ranks eighth in the world among women players and number two in India.
If there's one person she credits for her sterling performances, it's her grandmother, who accompanies her to all the important tournaments. Long and diligent training - six to seven hours every day - goes into Dronavalli's consistent performances. Then there are daily work-out sessions and badminton. In her down time, Dronavalli enjoys watching movies, sitcoms, and reading comics.
Victory without any cheer Dronavalli says she was aiming for gold in Tehran but lost to China's Tan Zhongyi, ranked far lower in the FIDE ratings, in the Armageddon tie-break (in which both players are given limited time to move their pieces).
“It took me some time [to get over it] but now I am fine and trying to cherish what I have got. It isn't easy to reach the semi-finals in back-to-back championships. My dream has always been to get gold. And since I am aiming for it, I will get it soon,” she says.
Neither does the lack of appreciation for her achievements - there was no crowd or chess federation officials to greet Dronavalli when she came back - worry her. This drew huge criticism, but Dronavalli plays it down saying, “I am not disappointed; I am used to it. People aren't aware, but things are changing and one day, it will bring a visible change.” Dronavalli's thinking about her next tournament - the Sharjah International Open starting on March 22, 2017.




Source: DNA-23rd March,2017