Wednesday, May 03, 2017

‘Artists die when they stop experimenting'

After 60 years of painting, artist Lalu Prasad Shaw showcases his first sculpture exhibition
When he was teaching at Krishnanagar School in the early 60s, artist Lalu Prasad Shaw would teach his students clay modelling and created a few models too. The painter is counted among some of the top artists in the country. But while all this is part of history, it is in the recent past that Shaw decided to give sculpting a chance. “A couple of years ago, Jyotirmoy Bhattacharya started pestering me about creating some sculptures and Prashant Tulsyan gave me the strength and inspiration I needed to take on this challenge,” he says. Shaw, whose first ever sculpture show Babu and Bibi is at Gallery 7 till May 20, spoke to After Hrs… After working in the field of art and experimenting with various mediums, how did you decide to try your hand at sculpting? My sculptures are three dimensional extension of my two dimensional paintings. Earlier, I made some sculptures for Society of Contemporary Artists art camps but this is my first solo sculpture exhibition.

You experimented with another art form at such a late stage in your life. Do you think age is a factor when it comes to learning a new form of art? It's not at all a factor. There is no bar on age limit to create art. An artist always tries to explore throughout his/her life. Artists die when they stop experimenting.

How long did it take you to create all these works of art? Is there any theme you tried to explore? It is a great experience; I am satisfied the way it turned out. It took two years to make these sculptures. I tried to experiment with Bengali sentiment in my paintings and sculptures; that is the theme - Babu and Bibi.


Source: DNA-29th April,2017